Kids Physiotherapy Treatments
For Children 18M+ with:
- Developmental delay
- Muscle tone disorders – hypertonia/hypotonia
- Neurological conditions including:
- Cerebral Palsy
- Developmental delay
- Traumatic brain injury
- Spinal cord injury
- Spina Bifida
- Genetic disorders including Down Syndrome and other chromosomal syndromes
- Children in need of pre/post-op rehabilitation such as post tendon releases, botox, Selective Dorsal Rhizotomy (SDR, Single Event Multilevel Surgery (SEMLs), etc.
Children Physiotherapy Services
Individual assessments and consultations at Coastal Child Therapy – treatment programs developed and delivered by Liz Thomas, registered physiotherapist.
Liz Thomas, Physiotherapist
Liz comes from a varied background, but definitely a movement one. Having previous lived in the mountains as a ski instructor, her passion about the biomechanics of movement induced her towards physiotherapy. Her innate ability to teach and interact with children and her interest in neuromuscular physiotherapy led her to finally work with children in this focused area. She always promised herself “that she would give at least 10 years to helping kids in need”. Well, life has taken her around to her goal and she has created a friendly and fun space – specific to kids therapy.
Intensive Therapy Programs
Innovative and effective Intensive Therapy Program for infants through to adolescents with neuromuscular disorders and a variety of diagnoses.
Intensive Therapy is proving to be effective as they optimise consolidation (Neuroplasticity) of functional and developmental skills. Programs are tailored and can be of a duration of 1-3 weeks, 2-4 hours per day, 3-5 days a week depending on the child and their specific needs.
Goals of Intensive Therapy Programs:
- Improve independence with activities involving motor skills
- Improve alignment and body awareness
- Improve motor coordination and motor control
- Improve balance and motor control – closed and open chain activities
The Intensive Therapy Program will challenge your child, helping them to maximise gains in strength and function in a short period of time.
We encourage children to unlock their full potential through providing neuromuscular movement therapies individualised to each child specific needs.
Therapies, Techniques and Equipment
At Coastal Child Therapy we utilise various treatment modalities and equipments which focus on developing functional motor skills and enhancing development of independence.
- Clinical Pilates
- Strengthening/endurance training
- Motor-learning therapy
- Gait training in various supported environments
- Tone reduction
- Functional skill development
- Partial supported weight bearing training
- Neuro-developmental principles (NDT)
- Distal Balance Control/ CME (commencing soon) – treatment to enhance vestibular and postural reactions and balance
- Constraint induced movement principles (CIMT)
- Neuromuscular electrical stimulation (commencing soon)
A soft dynamic proprioceptive orthosis.
- Body alignment as close to normal as possible
- Reestablishing the correct postural alignment
- Normalising muscle tone
- Sensory and vestibular function
See Therasuit® for additional information.
Universal Exercise Unit (UEU) & Spider Cage
Exercise unit that is used to assist specific strengthening, joint range, flexibility and functional movement exercises utilising pulleys and weights.
Various equipment can be used in conjunction with the UEU / Spider cage – steps/stairs, treadmill (gait training), balance boards, bicycle, bolsters/peanut ball (sitting balance), vibration platform.
Clinical Pilates (DMA)
Spring loaded machines to both facilitate and resist movements required, can be both Isolated and functional movements patterns, closed and open chain exercises.
- Proprioceptive input
- Joint loading
- Eccentric control
- External perturbations – promotes postural reactions
- Steps / stairs / ramps
- Parallel bars
- Balance boards
- Overhead bars
- Rock climbing wall
- Bicycles, surf boards, other sporting equipment
Contact us to Book an Appointment
Please use the form below to get in contact, enquire about therapies or book an appointment. We’d love to hear from you!